This position will report to the Accounting Manager and work closely with individuals in the field and within the accounting department to accurately prepare, analyze and validate fixed asset information in accordance with an established monthly reporting schedule.
Sun Gro Horticulture is one of North America’s most prominent horticultural companies. We are an industry leader in soilless growing mixes, serving horticultural professionals, retailers, and gardeners with superior-quality branded growing mixes and amendments that yield exceptional results. This role will work closely with the Operations Finance team, who lead the capital approval process. In addition, Sun Gro is in the process of updating our ERP system. There is an opportunity to participate in areas across the accounting department as the financial accounting team focuses additional efforts on the proper building, testing, and implementation of the updated ERP system.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Prepare and record financial transactions via journal entries including accruals and recurring entries
- Reconcile general ledger accounts to support financial statements
- Have an understanding of multi-currency and multi-company accounting
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Prepare financial management reports as requested
- Prepare supporting schedules for the annual financial and tax audits
- Comply with relevant laws and regulations and ensure the integrity of financial data
- Meet all financial reporting deadlines
Specifically, this position will also require the following:
- Ensure all company policies relating to fixed assets are well documented, current and adhered to.
- Maintain fixed asset sub-ledgers, on both book and tax basis, using Sage Fixed Asset software for multiple companies.
- Ensure taxes are self-assessed on fixed asset purchases, where applicable.
- Reconcile fixed asset system detail to general ledger.
- Process all additions, disposals, and transfers.
- Work with the field to maintain an accurate list of fixed assets at each physical location.
- Maintain and provide reporting on all capital expenditure projects.
- Work closely with Operations Directors Prepare annual capital budget and cash flow.
- Prepare cash flow forecast in relation to capital spend.
- Administration of company equipment leases and customer equipment lease agreements.
- Work with Internal Audit, as required, when fixed asset audits are being conducted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Be a positive, contributing team member
- Ability to meet tight closing deadlines
- Must be highly organized, accurate and detail oriented
- Have excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products. Advanced knowledge of Excel required (advanced formulas, pivot tables, filters).
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies.
- Contributes to an environment that fosters process improvement and challenges status quo to eliminate non-value added work.
- Strong Fact Based Decision Making skills – supports decisions with data and uses data to solve problems.
- Ability to Establish Plans – set clear, measureable goals, anticipating roadblocks and adjusts for problems, can accurate assess the length and difficulty of tasks.
- Change Champion – able to communicate changes, remove obstacles and understand who needs to be involved in driving changes.
- Strong execution skills – can provide support without removing responsibility, monitors progress to ensure achievement of goals, coordinate with other work groups.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Strong understanding of accounting theory (multi-currency experience is a plus)
- CPA/MBA preferred
- 3-5+ years accounting/finance experience required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize workloads and be proactive
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time, have full use of hands to fingers, able to reach, bend and squat
- Some travel required