Careers at Sun Gro: Production Manager
Sun Gro® Horticulture is one of the most prominent North American horticultural companies, employing over 800 staff and serving customers worldwide. Since its humble beginnings in 1929, it has become the leading supplier of soilless growing mixes to North America’s top 100 greenhouse and nursery growers, shipping over 70,000 truckloads of product annually. Sun Gro products are made to exacting standards and conform to high product quality and performance criteria.
We are looking to add a Production Manager to our team.
Responsible for the overall day-to-day management of a production plant to produce products and direct shipping activities to ensure quality products. Oversee the direction of all personnel in the production and shipping departments. Drive production facility to achieve all safety, quality, productivity, and efficiency goals. Fill in for Plant Manager during absences.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide clear guidance to workforce with the safety and productivity of the plant.
- Develop short and long range operating strategies in conjunction with Plant Manager to align with company goals.
- Develop and train employees with the knowledge of how they influence the company’s profitability.
- Must be hands on and accessible
- Assists Plant Manager in developing and formulating long and short term range planning, policies, programs and objectives to meet strategic goals
- Establish and control plant operating budgets.
- Formulates and recommends manufacturing policies and programs to guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and the profitability of the operation.
- Directs and coordinates various program essentials including training, safety, housekeeping, cost reductions, worker involvement and security.
- Ensure that production is in accordance with plan, meets quality standards and customer’s expectation.
- Understands sales forecast and can convert into a production plan to assure exemplary service to customers.
- Ensure cost effective utilization of workforce.
- Works with leads and supervisors to assure development of staff. Takes necessary corrective action as needed in a timely basis and in accordance with company policy.
- Assures compliance of current federal, state and local regulations
- Key contributor to design and build of new Pine Bluff facility.
- Help develop SOP’s, operating procedures, and training of all personnel in new facility.
- Recommend and implement approved capital projects and changes in the workplace.
- Assures product quality meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Provide reports; analyze reports and administration work associated with plant.
- Performs miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned and required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
-Strong customer focus - includes the ability to balance the needs of the customer with the needs of the business as well as fostering a strong customer focus mindset.
- Strong Fact Based Decision Making skills – supports decisions with data and uses data to solve problems
- Ability to Establish Plans – set clear, measureable goals, anticipating roadblocks and adjusts for problems, can accurate assess the length and difficulty of tasks.
- Change Champion – able to communicate changes, remove obstacles and understand who needs to be involved in driving changes.
- Strong execution skills – can provide support without removing responsibility, monitors progress to ensure achievement of goals, coordinate with other work groups.
- Creates an environment that fosters process improvement and challenges status quo to eliminate non-value added work
- Understanding of Supply Chain function and interaction with other departments
- Strong coaching skills – ability to assess talent accurately, make tough calls when needed and work with employees on development to ensure their success as well as continued achievement of organizational goals.
- Able to Provide Direction – sets clear objectives and develops KPIs to monitor work. Clarifies roles and responsibilities and monitors progress and results.
- Motivates Others – Inspires people to excel by creating a work environment that allows people to do their best.
- Fosters Teamwork – values all employee’s contributions, involving team in decisions that affect them and discourages “we” vs. “them” attitude.
- Strong Business Process Orientation ensuring strategic process alignment across functions consistent with corporate strategies and goals
- Computer skills a must, specific proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet and email.
- Proficient with organizational skills
- Ability to plan, organizes, execute and monitor changes according to organizational goals.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse workforce and interdepartmental relation skills.
- Establish schedules, deadlines and production goals. Analyze impact of decisions on plant and other departments prior to executing them.
- Coordinate resources toward fulfillment of desired objectives.
- Organize work autonomously or as part of a team.
- Control and/or adapt to interruptions, changes, disorder, or repetition without losing efficiency or composure.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2-3 years supervisory experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This is a hands on position. This would require the ability to lift 50lbs., bending or standing on a stool as necessary.
Pine Bluff, Arkansas
To complete your application, submit the form below. You are permitted to submit up to 3 files.
Include your resume, cover letter and threee professional references.