The Regional Safety Advisor works throughout the region to drive the health, safety, and environmental culture throughout the designated area. The position requires a strong individual that can drive results with and through others while maintaining consistency and neutrality within the process. This position serves as a resource for all health and safety functions within the sites and assists in the coaching, mentoring, and implementation of the HSE program. This is a hands-on position and the incumbent will be expected to develop many different types of documents, procedures, rules, work instructions, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Be the resource for all HSE throughout the region.
- Maintain and create Sun Gro HSE Management System documents including but not limited to policies and procedures, work instructions, training plans, and information postings specific to the region.
- Responsible for assisting in identifying potential health, safety, and environmental hazards, and working with the Corporate HSE Manager on training or process improvement required to reduce the hazard.
- Assist facility Supervisors and Managers with the application of the HSE system requirements.
- Work with the Corporate HSE Manager to ensure all Sun Gro HSE trainings are completed.
- Assist with the development of HSE training and education programs for staff within facillities.
- Prepare Safety talks and training materials for all departments on the frequency required by the CHSE department. For example: Maintenance safety talks prepared for monthly meetings, Production safety talks are bi-weekly etc.
- Complete internal audits in conjunction with each facility within region. In addition, assist and help prepare facilities for any external audit (i.e. Certification of Recognition (COR)).
- Participate in JHSC meetings in region as needed.
- Prepare monthly report on HSE system status, First Aids, Accident/Incidents JHSC activities.
- Help facilities, in unison with HR, manage the worker’s compensation and return to work programs. Provide direction to supervisors and managers regarding claims management. Maintain chronology for each case.
- Support and assist in implementing Corporate HSE safety action plans, and business plans.
- Assist management with root cause analysis (RCA) investigation.
- Assist in monitoring Safety Data Platform entries input by the locations, and work with other Safety Data Platform Operators in managing and escalating incident submissions. Train SunGro employees in HSE policies, procedures & practices according to legislations and internal trainings as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Understanding health, safety and environmental policies, procedures, guidelines, and best practices.
- Regularly review and be familiar with all applicable legislation and standards to ensure compliance.
- Ability to identify potential safety hazards and make recommendations to rectify the situation.
- Organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to interact with production employees, supervisors, management, and governing authorities.
- Proactively, and positively affect change in health and safety across the region.
- Strong Fact-Based Decision-Making skills – supports decisions with data and uses this information to solve problems.
- Ability to Establish Plans – set clear, measurable goals, anticipating roadblocks, and adjusts for problems, can accurately assess the length and difficulty of tasks.
- Change Champion – able to communicate changes, remove obstacles, and understand who needs to be involved in driving changes.
- Strong execution skills – monitors progress to ensure achievement of goals, coordinates with other workgroups.
- Facilitate required HSE communications, updates, training, and new program developments within region.
- Computer skills a must, specific proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet, and email.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Community College Diploma minimum
- Recognized formal training in one of Health and Safety, or Environmental studies.
- Minimum 5 years of Health and Safety experience in both unionized & nonunionized manufacturing/production environment
- Must be adaptable and able to gain the knowledge required to perform functions in a professional manner.
- Strong communication skills – experience in facilitation, training, giving presentations and writing reports.
- Strong computer skills and technical aptitude.
- Must understand, respect, and adhere to workplace health, safety, and environment rules and regulations.
- Strong relationship-building and management skills.
- Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time within the region