- Materials Engineer is responsible for developing raw materials for use in soilless media products. This person will develop manufacturing processes to utilize bark, wood and other organic biomass utilizing equipment usually found in bark processing operations or by developing customized equipment working with outside vendors.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with wood chippers, shredders, and/or other machinery for processing trees and other organic biomass materials.
- In-depth knowledge of wood processing equipment including their operation, management, alterations, and maintenance. Specifically, use of screens, tool adjustments, air handling systems, feedstock management and feed rates, and other variables that are important to know (or learn when processing various organic feedstock materials).
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively about engineering organic materials
- Inventory management of log yards, raw material inventory storage, etc.
- Basic knowledge of wood properties and how those properties can influence manufacturing process and end-product quality.
- Ability to develop SOP’s for processing biomass materials.
- Experience or familiarity with developing and adhering to Quality Control and Assurance measures to ensure product consistency and reproducibility over time.
- Experience with handling, processing, and managing organic biomass materials.
- Ability to communicate with industry and academic colleagues and resources to apply science and other known principles to the engineering of organic biomass.
- Willingness and interest to learn new techniques and methodologies to develop new products from organic biomass materials.
- Ensure that all processes developed are reviewed with company safety resources prior to implementation
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Technical training (min 2 years)
- Prefer Wood/Forestry Science or Relevant Engineering degree
- Processing or Manufacturing experience (min 2 years)
- Must be willing to live in assigned location
- Will be required to travel
- Ability to properly lift materials and operate large equipment when necessary
- Work safely around powered equipment
- A combination of office/computer work and working at plants and research facilities
- Ability to work outdoors in all seasons of the year